I recently caught up with Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) surfer Tarryn Kyte for a couple of shoots. First we did some water shooting down at Muizenberg and then a little while later some land shooting down in Kommetjie. We did not get the best of conditions to shoot in but we tried to make the most of what we had.
Tarryn is currently training for the ISA world SUP games in Nicaragua in May where she will be representing South Africa.
In between shoots we had a quick chat.
1) Why SUP? What’s so special about it?
Aaah, its just too much fun :)Its just so versatile you can SUP in waves, wind and when it’s flat. Never get bored!
2) Do you Remember where, when, why and how you started with the SUP
I started SUP’ing when I went to WATCH SA champs in Table view the one year and Gary Van Rooyen said to me, here’s a board and a paddle, now go surf your heat, as there were not enough ladies yet 🙂 And that was that 😉 Thanks Gary
3) You are due to represent South Africa at Worlds shortly. Are you excited about representing your country?
WOW, I am beyond excited! Such an honor! It has been my goal for years to try and make the SA team for long boarding and have always just missed it, so this is definitely something to tick off my bucket list 🙂 WOOOOHOOOOO!
4) What are you looking forward to the most about worlds
I think just the whole vibe, honor and experience! Going to be an amazing trip:)
5) How is the trainig going?
Sheesh, training is hectic, trying to do as much as I can at least its still fun 🙂
6) Sadly due to lack of funds you are expected to cover the cost involved with representing your country. How is the fund-raising going?
The fundraising is going brilliantly, so overwhelmed by all the SUPport (haha, excuse the pun) There still a couple of raffle tickets left if anyone is interested 🙂
7) Future goals in regards to SUPing
Well hopefully get onto the SUP world tour and do a couple of international contests.
8) Describe your average day?
At the moment it consists of wakeup, check windguru, SUP, work, SUP on lunch break, work, SUP!!!!!!!! LOVE IT 😉
9) Working on the Muzinberg beach front must have some benefits?
OMG it’s the best, hence the fact I can train before, during and after work!
10) Who inspires you the most
My amazingly talented fiancé’ who shred’s on any board and in any waves, he is always pushing me and the best coach EVER 😉 Also, Gary Van Rooyen, he is also one of the best waterman/businessman/coach and life mentor. He has helped me in everyway possible and if it wasn’t for him this would not be possible.
11) How do you relax?
Relax? Whats that?! just jokes, I think being in the water is relaxing enough, and that’s where I spend most of my time 🙂
12) Other interests?
…. Hmmm….I LOVE TO SHOP! 🙂
Thanx Tarryn, All the best for worlds!
gallery of some images from shooting with Tarryn